When it comes to the construction and maintenance of rail systems, Tranco Industrial Services, Inc. can meet any need. Here is a look at what we do.
RAIL SYSTEMS DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION
Preliminary Design and Budget Estimates
We provide preliminary designs for potential projects at no cost. Our in-house engineer promptly prepares the design, along with a construction budget estimate.
Design and Build
Industrial track design is our specialty. We provide turnkey rail systems that meet the needs of any tenant who counts track-work as a critical part of their manufacturing process. These tracks are typically constructed in concrete flooring and require tighter radiuses than a typical track. All design work is completed in accordance with specifications of AREMA and the serving railroad.
New Track Construction
From a single rail spur to an intermodal yard, we perform a wide range of new construction projects. Our capabilities include site work, track construction and road crossing installation.
RAIL SYSTEMS MAINTENANCE
Our track inspection service is designed to monitor track conditions and prevent derailment or a refusal to operate on the track by the serving railroad. Inspectors are qualified by the Federal Railroad Administration. They note all deficiencies by order of importance and include a repair estimate in their report.
Because track conditions can change rapidly, we recommend monthly inspections of all facilities. The most important elements to monitor are the track gage (width between the rails), and the switch components. These items are known to cause the most problems.
Maintenance and Emergency Repairs
Proper track maintenance is essential to safe operating conditions. Rail, ties and ballast are the basic components of the track that must be consistently maintained. The life expectancies of these items are shown in the table below.
|ITEM||LIFE EXPECTANCY||TRACK DEFICIENCY|
|Rail||20-40 Years||Broken Rail|
|Ties||15-20 Years||Wide Gage and Surface|
|Ballast||10 Years||Profile will not hold. Track will not drain water.|
- The most cost-efficient method of maintenance is to replace a percentage of these items on a regular basis –
- Rails are turned when they are worn on one side then completely replaced when worn on both sides.
- Ties are normally changed in a pattern by replacing one out of every five to seven each year.
- New ballast must be added as the old stone degrades to powder. This preserves drainage, which extends the tie life and holds the profile of the track.
- Switches have moving components, which require regular lubrication. They must be cleaned, oiled and adjusted on a consistent basis to ensure their proper operation. Adjustment is necessary as track conditions change or components become worn.